Can I Foster?
Room4U Teenage Fostering Service provides high quality foster placements for teenagers and young parents with babies.
We are looking for couples and single people willing and able to:
- Offer a full time home to a young person aged 12+ or a young parent and their baby; or
- Offer short term breaks to these young people and, where applicable, their babies.
Foster carers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and walks of life.
They can be young or more mature, straight or gay, have children or be childless, employed or unemployed, home owners or renters. They come from different ethnic backgrounds and have a variety of faiths or none. ROOM4U foster carers will be people who:
- Have already enjoyed caring for teenagers at home or work or in a voluntary capacity;
- Enjoy working as part of a team – social workers, educators, professional staff and young person’s family;
- Can be flexible and able to negotiate and compromise;
- Are calm, tolerant, energetic, resourceful and stick at things if the going gets tough;
- Have a spare bedroom for sole use of a teenager or a parent and baby;
- Live within 40 miles of the City of Edinburgh boundary
Here is a useful video from The Fostering Network on who can foster.
Please ask us if you have questions about your own particular circumstances and how they might affect an application to foster.